Saturday, May 28, 2011

Homework #59: SOF Prom 2011 & DSPs


            Just hearing about prom it seems impossible that it could really be that fun of a night, but it is. I understand now why people might want to relive it, however I do not think that it is the type of night that can ever be quite duplicated. Surprisingly during the night I did not think at all about the things we had talked about in class, but now looking back on the night I did notice many clichés. I myself wore a corsage and my date a boutonniere. At the prom everyone looked very classy and put together. There were the people who looked completely new, as if they had taken on a new persona. It is funny how for one night people want to be someone else entirely. While dancing there was the circle dance, but not necessarily with “the outcast” in the middle. Everyone was included in the dancing and it was nice to just let yourself go. Nobody cared about how you danced or with whom you danced. Our grade was definitely unified, just as one of my interviewees said about her prom. There were not any fights, but instead everyone embraced each other and their uniqueness.
            I think a lot of times we look at this event as almost too cliché to really mean anything. While there were people in limousines and corsages, SOF prom was not very cliché in itself. If I remember correctly there was no slow dancing and there was no prom king or queen. I do not think that anyone feels any different afterwards, perhaps only that our grade is closer. The experience one could say was transformative only during the event. It transforms not the individual but the group of people. Each person is more adult that night and it brings everyone together as they appreciate the people with whom they have spent the past four years. That night I really realized that I would miss all of these people. I had spent so long with them that I had not really appreciated who they were as people and what my life would be like without them. Going to Germany I still knew that I would always have one more year, now going off to college, it is over. Prom is definitely an event that helps mark the end and prepares us for the days to come. I do not think it is an event one you can criticize unless you have experienced it. In all of the other units it was easier to look at it from the outside, but to understand the emotion process of prom there must be particular circumstances.
            In class we talked about how prom is a practice night for being adult. I do not think anything we did was more adult than usual. The way everyone danced was actually surprisingly more PG than expected and the interactions were more mature maybe, but not necessarily “adult-like”. Prom is not about being an adult or acting like one. It is simply about maturing. We all acted our age, not ten years older. To an outsider it may seem like people are acting more adult in contrast to the behavior expressed prior to prom. I do not believe this is the case; prom helps us simply act our age and respect each other. It just so happens that adulthood shares those characteristics. Overall prom was a really great night. I do not feel any different and I’m sure my classmates will say the same, but it was definitely a night to remember, no matter how cliché that sounds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment