Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Homework #56: Comments

To Ariel:
Ariel, 

I thought your post was very funny. The images clearly displayed your reactions, while making the text more fun to read. I do wonder what made you go "huh" about the cremation facts. I do not find that information that surprising, as our society is evolving into a less religious state. I had never heard of resomation and it seems like an extremely cool idea. I believe it is clearly the most natural and should be made more widely known. I cannot say that I would particularly choose it, I want to be cremated I think, but it seems like a nice idea, that eventually you could help create a garden grow through your death.


To Sarah:
Sarah,

I thought your video was very well put together. The last paragraph of your analysis talks about how we do not pause to notice ourselves and the world around us. I believe you were also able to capture this idea well in your film, with the edited clips of the sidewalk. The audience was forced to talk a minute and appreciate life. I also liked that you asked teenagers who had not taken a course concerning the care of the dead. While all of our thoughts are interesting, it was intriguing to hear the perspective of someone who did not have much experience in the topic.
Each individual however did seem to have a pretty clear idea of what they wanted, considering how much our society tends to avoid the subject of death.
Good job!



To Abdul:



Abdul, 


 I think it is interesting that your wants to be cremated with all of her organs, while you are so intent on giving all of yours away. It seems to be the only difference between the two of your plans. What makes you want to give yours away so badly? And what makes her want to keep hers? If she's cremated, they won't exist in their original form. I wish I had been there yesterday for the speaker because they seemed to have had an impact on a lot of people's projects. I find it intriguing that you were so happy to get these forms. It's weird to think that they're even useful at our age, something that I believe a lot of us do not realize. You mentioned that you did not expect them for a couple decades, however then come to the realization that you could die tomorrow. Perhaps we should have more experience with these documents throughout our lives as to not be so surprised when eventually confronted with them. 


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From Lindsay: Nice video! I wonder how much their perspectives on the shift in funeral traditions has to do with age and location. Both had very vivid experiences of dark, gloomy and impersonal services as children, where funerals were something children weren't invited to. I have been to a variety of funerals, some of distant relatives in churches, from ones where the focus was more on the service than the person, to ones where the room was filled with stories and pictures. 

I wonder what impact being in a city vs a suburban town where our parents grew up, where the expectation is that the funeral will be "traditional."

From Ben: Great video! One of the things I thought was especially interesting was when Leslie said that when she was growing up, young children would often not be invited to funerals because it was a very "sad and sacred" occasion. I also loved the way Jim was so specific in his description of the first funeral home he was speaking about. I also think you did a very good job summarizing the contents of the video in you 2 written paragraphs. Nice work!


From Ariel: Intriguing Quotes:
-Having the person look perfect through embalming, the burial spot, the priest, everything added up in cost and would have to be perfect, in order to ensure a rightful passage into the next life.
- It is no longer such a monstrous thing that it must be kept from a child, but instead something that they need to acknowledge, even at a young age.

I liked your post because not only did you show changes in the industry regarding death but you also interviewed your parents with examples. It's very interesting how your parents both sort of saw death as something that needed to be perfect or rather monstrous. What do you think fueled them to think that? It is explicable with your father talking about how it's haunted but random with your mom. Maybe you can ask them why they think that. Over all i think you did a great job with your comparisons and details. Good job.


From Arden: Your video was really good. I liked the overlapping music you included. it started as more happy toned and transitioned into more mellow tones which I felt set the tone. It was interesting comparing the before and after of funerals. In the very beginning of the unit i remember having a brief talk with my grandpa bout funerals when he was younger. Your video sparked something he said in our conversation about "Criers." (I think thats what they were called) They were hired to attended funerals and cry. It was a way of coping, mourning, and having people express sadness to bring more respect to the dead person. This idea seemed a little bit far fetch to me. I just wondering how that started, how this job evolved and into what? If your parents from their generation had any similar experiences. 

great post

No comments:

Post a Comment